To make our flowers, the children painted a bowl and two large pieces of white paper with several different colors. I then cut each child's paintings into flower petals. Then the petals were hot glued to the bowl each child painted. I used green bulletin board paper to make the stems and leaves.
In between the mushrooms, we added flowers the children had made showing how a flower grows and labeled with a flower's parts. (flower, leaves, stem, seeds, and roots)
We made our dragonflies two different ways - one was done using tissue paper to make them colorful, the other one was made with only glitter to look more like a real dragonfly.
The dragonflies were made using tongue depressors, glitter pom poms, google eyes, glitter, paint, glue (school and hot), pipe cleaners and transparency sheets. I drew the wings I wanted, then used the copy machine to transfer them onto the transparency sheets. I was able to make four sets of wings per sheet. Each child made two dragonflies - one with tissue paper, and one without. The children used a paintbrush to paint glue on the wings. They applied tissue paper and then glitter to one, and just glitter to the other pair of wings. They painted two tongue depressors on both sides. I used the hot glue gun to complete the dragonflies by glued the wings and pom pom onto the dried tongue depressor. And then added eyes to the pom pom to finish the head. Pipe cleaners were cut and bent to form small legs for the dragonflies. The pipe cleaner legs were hot glued to the bottom side of the tongue depressor.
I hope you enjoyed our hallway displays from the 2013-2014 school year. Our new school year has begun, and I look forward to sharing the rest of what we did last year, and what we will do this year!